A Shelter Helper assists with various areas of cleaning the shelter and caring for the animals. Some of these tasks include:
- Wash dog/cat bowls, toys, litter pans
- Do laundry (wash, dry, fold, sort and put away)
- Assist in cleaning the Cat Room, O-Room (observation room), and Dog Kennels
- Clean other areas of the kennel (hall, lobby, clinic room, offices)
- Clean dog walking trails and exercise pen
- Maintain grounds (weeding, sweeping, raking, hedge trimming)
- Restock supplies (litter cans, food bins, paper towels)
- Take trash out to dumpster
- Socialize with cats and dogs
Cat Cuddlers are just that! Before you volunteer for this you must be shown the basics on how to handle cats and the proper way to sanitize between petting cats. This is a great way to end your day at the shelter – help out as a Shelter Helper for a few hours and then follow up with cat cuddling! Prerequisite: Some handling skills & training.
Each shelter dog is walked at least three times a day for exercise, fresh air, socialization and human contact. During this time they can also be taught basic obedience skills. Prerequisite: Dog-Walking Class.
Doggie Outings/Special Events
Volunteers can take shelter dogs for walks at various, planned locations to show them off to the public. This increases the socialization opportunities for the dogs and gives the shelter positive exposure. Prerequisite: Dog-Walking Class and participants must be eighteen years or older.
Grooming Cats and Dogs
Volunteers will talk to, pet, and groom various dogs and cats that need special grooming attention. This will help the cats and dogs in our care to be more physically attractive and emotionally happy as a means of increasing their chances at adoption.
Please e-mail our Volunteer Coordinator. with any questions.