The Elmira Humane Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and Animals was incorporated on January 12, 1891. The early humane movement aimed to protect animals and children as they were both seen as groups vulnerable to mistreatment. The first animal shelter in Chemung County was established in 1926 on Pinnacle Road, Elmira.
In 1942, the shelter moved to Lowman where it remained until 1977. Upon the move to its current location, the society officially changed its name to the Chemung County Humane Society and SPCA.
More history will be added here in coming weeks.