- About Us
The Chemung County Humane Society & SPCA offers a unique program to families in our community in need of a temporary safe place for their cat or dog in the event of a domestic violence situation or being temporarily displaced due to an eviction or a home being condemned.
• This is a short-term program and is intended to assist individuals who have been displaced from their home and in need of temporary care for their pets while a permanent solution is sought.
• Many times pets are caught in the confusion of a quick move. If given the opportunity for a safe haven while the family works out their crisis, they can be returned to the owner and avoid being surrendered to the shelter.
• Victims of domestic violence should work through their local social service or victim’s advocate agencies and have them contact us to arrange pet housing.
• Those faced with eviction or notices of condemnation are asked to provide a copy of such notice.
• Homelessness is a very serious concern to our organization and we are dedicated to providing a resource to our community when the need arises.
To obtain more information on this program, please call us at: (607) 732-1827.